Web services are the coolest technology I know of that ends up turning everyone off. I don’t know about you, but when I go to a lecture on Web services, invariably tons of acronyms come out, like Representational State Transfer (REST), Extensible Markup Language (XML), Remote Procedure Call (RPC), SOAP, and RSS. And then I start to nod off and dream about a land where free Krispy Kreme donuts grow on trees.
Source: Zend Tutorials
Today I was faced with a difficult wireless networking scenario: looooong house, many thick walls.
The topography is as follows:
Comp A <--- 200 ft., 4 walls ---> Router <--- 150 ft., 3 walls ---> Comp B
The house is older so the walls are very, very solid and RF-absorbing. The old setup involved a Linksys WRT54GX (802.11 b/g) as the router in the middle, a Belkin Wireless-N PCMCIA card on computer A, and a Belkin Wireless-N PCI card on computer B. After many attempts to reposition the wireless adapter’s antennas on computer B with no success I suggested hooking up a WRT54G in client bridging mode (using DD-WRT) to act as the wireless adapter on computer B. Worked like a champ. The signal is now strong and the connection hasn’t dropped one single time.
The kicker is that the WRT54G I used is version 8.2 which has very little RAM and doesn’t support the standard method of upgrading the firmware to DD-WRT.
- Download TFTP.
- Download the VX Work Killer firmware for the WRT54G v8.2
- Download the dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin firmware for the WRT54G v8.2
- Upload the vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin firmware to the router.
- Wait for the router to reboot.
- Try to ping the router (192.168.1.1 by default).
- When you can ping the router continue to the next step.
- Open a command prompt and enter
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin“
- If all went well, when the router reboots it will have DD-WRT on it and be accessible via 192.168.1.1.
- Username: “root”
- Password: “admin”
The connection on computer A is also weak so I’ll be adding a WRT54G to the mix to fix it.
Thank you DD-WRT!
It seems so appropriate after my recent bout with Time Warner’s customer service about the difference between megabits and megabytes that XKCD should publish this comic:
I tried to run a query today and have the results go to a file. The output was a ton of rows with only one column. If you need to output query analyzer results to a format compatible with Excel just do the following:
- Go to “Tools”
- Click “Options”
- Click the “Results” tab
- Under “Results output format: (*)”, select “Tab Delimited”
- Make sure “Print column headers (*)” is selected
- Click “OK”
Now when you run your query the results will be in TSV format with the column headers.